When I first started talking to people about homeschooling I never realized, how controversial the subject was. And the one thing that people kept coming up was the socialization of children who are homeschooled......
This is a big issue for me and I started to get worried about just that...
I was thinking to myself, if I can’t find a way around this problem then it’s going to be an issue.
So I had to do some researching and talk to other mothers who home school as well, to find out about how their children socialize...
But before I talk about that, I would like to share my reasons for deciding to home school.
· I don’t want my children to take extra classes outside of school to learn Islam.
· I did think about a private Islamic school, but it is way too expensive. Plus I would have to travel to get to the nearest school.
· My child will have more of a choice of what he wants to learn.
· I feel children learn more when they are taught one to one, rather than sharing with 30 other kids.
· I don’t want my child to have peer pressure, and feel like he has to fit in.
· Terms time is too restricted and your not allowed taking you child out of school for holiday.
· I don’t want my children being brain washed, I want them to think for themselves and school doesn’t allow that with the work load they but on kids...
· I want my children to be able to communication with people of all ages and not force to be friends with people they wouldn’t choose to be friends with.
· I want to get the gratitude for educating my child not some stranger I don’t know.
The disadvantage and solutions
This is something that I am concerned about myself. But there are plenty of clubs that kids can go to, to socialize, there are after school classes, scouts, brownies, homeschooler groups, going to the mosque. Going to friends houses. Also if they choose they could write to a pen pal.
· Never getting any time to yourself;
I think the moment you choose to have children you have forfeited your time. At the moment i put Abdu to bed early so i get some hours to myself in the evening, I may even do some courses or even work a couple of days, when my husband is off work
· May cost money
Not as much as private education. Plus i could still work a couple of days.